Rabindra Sarovar Lake is really a great attraction in Kolkata. As its nearest places and the great beautiful greenery garden with the crystal clear Lake draws attraction. You can see so many players are playing in that field, there are a lot of people who are sitting and gossiping. For one beautiful evening, you can easily spend your day here whenever you are in Kolkata.
Do not miss this place at all. In this article, we will share the awesome history of this lake and also its beautiful features that you should not miss at all. There are so many great architectures in Kolkata but this lake is literally famous for the greenery views and the beautiful Lake. Not just Rabindra Sarovar Lake you can also have the Dhakuria Lake with it.
You will have a bridge that you can cross and have the fun of the scenery. For one evening it is a really great place to visit with your friends and family whenever you are in Kolkata. After that, you can also have fun with the exhibition to the nearest gallery gold and have foods from the outside areas. Please have a look at the features and the history and the other details we have shared in Our article. Otherwise, you will really miss something very interesting!
HISTORY OF RABINDRA SAROVAR LAKE
Rabindra Sarobar which was once known as Dhakuria Lake is an artificial lake located in the southern fringes of the city of Kolkata. Some well known and renowned neighbourhoods of Southern Avenue, Dhakuria, Lake Gardens, and South City encompass the lake. Alongside the south section of Sealdah network of Kolkata Suburban Railway passes right through, margining the water body.
The history of Rabindra Sarobar Lake dates back to the initial years of the decade of 1920. Calcutta Metropolitan Development Authority had an independent body called Calcutta Improvement Trust also known as CIT, responsible for carrying out the projects for recreational development and beautification of the city. The CIT planned to acquire at least a kilometre square area of marshy forests and develop the area into a recreational area. They had the objective to develop the area into an upgraded residential area, improved and wide roads, and fill the stretch with parks, lakes, and gardens. Eventually, the excavation work was carried out and a large lake was conceived in that area.
Till 1951 the lake was known as Dhakuria Lake. This was when the Calcutta Improvement Body decided to change the name of the lake to Rabindra Sarobar, in honour of arguably the most famous personality of Bengal, the renowned poet, and Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore.
Today the lake stands as one of the most popular spots for recreation in the city of Kolkata. Almost 70 acres of the area is filled with water which is surrounded by century-old trees and shrubs. The alleyway is used by joggers and people who are enthusiastic about morning walks. The promenade is a beautiful stretch and people regularly use it for recreational activities. Fishing and Swimming without authority in the lake is prohibited and attract penalties. Rowing in the water is allowed before sunset.
FEATURES OF RABINDRA SAROVAR LAKE
- Adjacent to the lake there is a football stadium, called Rabindra Sarobar Lake, which can seat almost 26000 people.
- Also adjoining the lake is an open-air theatre called Mukta Mancha.
- There is a famous Japanese Buddhist temple located right across the lake. The temple offers prayers in Japanese when the drums are beaten in the early morning and dusk.
- A mosque is located in the south side on a lake’s isle.
- Adjacent to the mosque is a suspension bridge which is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the city. It is located in the centre of the lake and has a fish sanctuary underneath. People can feed the fishes from the bridge.
- There are a number of rowing and swimming clubs in the lake premises and most famous and the oldest of it would be Calcutta Rowing Club.
- The lake and its surroundings suffer from massive environmental degradation and pollution. Heavy water pollution had drawn the attention of local bodies to improve the situation least it becomes another filth filled water body with the rotting stench.
VISITING TIME OF RABINDRA SAROVAR LAKE
The opening time of Rabindra Sarobar Lake is 6 AM in the morning. It opens for jogging, walks, and recreational activities. Till 7 PM visitors are allowed to take a stroll and walk around the water and other activities.
Any time you can come here for any type of activities. From every age group, all the people are welcome here. You can come here with your kids. They can play in the garden easily and you can spend a lovely time in the garden enjoying the outer view scenery with a cup of tea or coffee.
HOW TO REACH RABINDRA SAROVAR LAKE
There are various ways and options to reach Rabindra Sarobar Lake owing to a highly advanced public transportation scene in Kolkata.
- Buses – Every bus which is bound southbound through Sarat Bose Road can help you reach Rabindra Sarobar Lake. The nearest bus stop is Sarat Bose Road corner and the lake can be reached by walking after getting down over there.
- Metro – The nearest metro station to Dhakuria Lake is Rabindra Sarobar Metro Station on the Noapara-Kavi Shubash line of Kolkata Metro Line 1. Another nearest metro station from where Dhakuria Lake is nearly accessible from is Kalighat. Whatever will be the nearest metro station you can come here you just need to come to the Kalighat or Rabindra Sarovar Metro station and it is very close to it.
- Taxis and App-based Cabs – The yellow taxis and online cab services like Uber, Ola, Jugnoo, and Rapido will provide you direct access to Rabindra Sarobar Lake from any corner of the city. These are definitely the most popular ways of getting around the city. You can also get a cab or Kolkata special yellow taxi and that will be great. Yellow taxi gives you the real flavour of Kolkata.
- Railways– The nearest railway station to Rabindra Sarobar Lake is Dhakuria Railway Station. It is situated at the South Section network or the Budge-Budge section of the Sealdah Rail network. The Suburban Railway is a very convenient way to reach Rabindra Sarobar Lake.
MOST ATTRACTIVE PLACES NEAREST PLACES NEAR RABINDRA SAROBAR
There are several places holding a visitor’s interest located near the Rabindra Sarobar Lake.
- Kalighat Temple – one of the most important Hindu Temples in the city of Kolkata is the Temple of Kalighat dedicated to the goddess Kali. It’s one of the Shakti paths of Hindu mythology and attracts millions of devotees, worshippers, and visitors throughout the year.
- Lake Mall – A high-end shopping mall located in the vicinity is Lake Mall. The building has a number of shops dedicated to daily essentials to luxury items and covers all the needs of the customers ranging from clothing to electronics. The food court has a wide range of restaurant options serving a variety of palettes. The PVR cinemas located there is a high-quality multiplex to catch a movie with Dolby-digital sound.
- Dakshinapan Shopping Complex – Dakshinapan Shopping Complex takes about 15 minutes by walking from Rabindra Sarobar Lake. This place is a vast shopping complex and provides shoppers with a variety of options mainly in terms of clothing, accessories, and home décor. The place is one of the shopper’s favourites when it comes to festival shopping.
- Gariahat Market – The paradise for street shopping. This place has everything for every gender of every age group in a vast range depending on your budget options. The place is particularly famous amongst female shoppers because it has a number of options in terms of women’s fashion. This is one of the best markets from where you can get budget-friendly things at a very cheap rate. A lot of things you can buy here like dresses, jewellery, shirts, pants and so on. You can also gift someone all of these gifts.
- Birla Temple – Another religious place nearby is Birla Temple is a Jain temple built in the 1960s and is known for its intricate and beautiful architecture and is one of the most visited by devotees and visitors alike.
- South City Mall – Another famous shopping mall near the Rabindra Sarobar Lake is South City Mall. This place is particularly famous for its luxury shopping options, it’s a food court and it’s multiplex INOX to catch a movie.
Let’s Sum Up
Rabindra Sarobar Lake is one of the most important attractions of Kolkata. Whenever you visit South Kolkata must come here. It is not so far from Rabindra Sarobar Metro Station. You will get to see a beautiful lake and a greenery Garden where you can spend your time with your family or loved ones. Or else you can also do several types of activities. For at least one day it is a very good place to visit.
Outstanding post, you have pointed out some superb points, I likewise believe this s a very superb website.
I loved your blog article. Really thank you! Great.
Thank you ever so for you article. Really looking forward to read more. Really Great.
Great article! We are linking to this particularly great article on our website. Keep up the good writing. Deonne Parry Crispen
Marvelous, This website gives useful information to us, keep it up.
This design is incredible! You definitely know how to keep a reader amused.
Pretty! This has been a really wonderful article. Many thanks for supplying this info. Michel Ingmar Gokey
I was reading through some of your articles on this site and I think this website is rattling informative! Continue posting. Delphinia Ginger Alexio
I discovered your site via Google at the same time as searching for a similar matter, your website came up. It appears great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to visit then. Fifine Nicholas Rebak
Looking forward to reading more. Great blog article. Fantastic.
Great blog.Much thanks again. Cool.